- The First Hainan International Tourism Equipment Expo Held at the Hainan Free Trade PortPosted 2 hours ago
- China’s Hainan Free Trade Port Holds the 21st CarnivalPosted 3 hours ago
- The MILLA Group Selects the Leddar Pixell From LeddarTech for the MILLA POD Autonomous ShuttlePosted 1 day ago
- 10kW+ Laser Cutting Machine Made a Sales Record of 260 Sets, Bodor Laser Constantly Surprises the MarketPosted 2 days ago
- ننشا میں منعقدہ آئی ایف ایف میں سسٹین ایبل اکنامک ڈیویلپمنٹ ایک گرما گرم موضوع بنا ہوا ہےPosted 3 days ago
- SNOMED CT supports New Zealand’s Canterbury District Health Board realize vision of a data driven, connected and integrated health systemPosted 3 days ago
- HIMSS & Health 2.0 Launch Middle East Digital Health Conference and Exhibition 29 Nov.-2 Dec., 2020Posted 3 days ago
- Sustained Economic Development Remains a Heated Topic at the IFF Held in NanshaPosted 3 days ago
- دنیا کے ساتھ قدم سے قدم ملا کر ،مستقبل سے بات کرتے ہوئے: گوانگژو کا نانشا سائی ٹیک اختراعات کے نئے اُفق دریافت کررہاہے۔Posted 6 days ago
- OKEx to resume withdrawals after the temporary suspensionPosted 7 days ago
Urgent Action Is Needed To End South Sudan Conflict
As we enter the fourth year of the South Sudan conflict, it is imperative that all parties join together to forge a resolution and bring peace to the people of South Sudan.
Both the government and the opposition are responsible for the horrific violence that has brought so much suffering to innocent civilians. We are deeply troubled both by the recent mobilization of 4,000 government-affiliated militia in Central Equatoria and by repeated calls from opposition leaders to overthrow the government and attack the capital. Both the government and opposition continue to obstruct humanitarian access and impede the operations of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), and despite pledges to do so, the government has not taken sufficient steps to allow deployment of an UNMISS regional protection force to provide stability and security in Juba.
We note President Kiir's December 14 call for a national dialogue and call on both sides to create the conditions that would be required for such a dialogue to succeed. This means that both sides must cease violence against civilians, support humanitarian access, and respect the cease fire. The government must meet its responsibilities for safeguarding human rights and fundamental freedoms, including freedom of the press. The opposition must channel its efforts into dialogue instead of working to overthrow the government. UNMISS must be permitted to do its job unobstructed, and the Regional Protection Force must be permitted to deploy.
Throughout these challenging times, the United States and partners in the international community will continue to stand with the people of South Sudan. The continuing threat to peace and security demands additional actions by the international community, including the swift adoption by the UN Security Council of an arms embargo to stanch the flow of weapons and targeted sanctions against those who have undermined peace and stability and created the conditions for mass civilian atrocities. As we and our partners in the international community continue to pursue these measures, we will support those engaging in peaceful and inclusive dialogue as a means to resolve the current crisis and work toward the peaceful future that the people of South Sudan deserve.
Source: U.S. State Department.