- ورلڈفری زون آرگنائزیشن جیانگ ڈونگ نیو ایریا، ہائیکو میں ایشیا-پیسفک صدر دفاتر قائم کرے گاPosted 5 days ago
- The World Free Zone Organization to Set up Asia-Pacific Headquarters in Jiangdong New Area, HaikouPosted 5 days ago
- Despite Brexit Uncertainty, Business Schools in UK Continue to See Strong International DemandPosted 1 week ago
- Validated with Microsoft Skype for Business, Patton Delivers Cloud-Powered IntegrationPosted 1 week ago
- وزيرة النقل بالولايات المتحدة، إلين تشاو، تعلن عن مجلس جديد لدعم تسويق “الهايبرلوب”.Posted 2 weeks ago
- U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao Announces New Council to Support Hyperloop CommercializationPosted 2 weeks ago
- پانی کی ری سائکلنگ اورمینجمنٹ کے لئے قانون سازی کا مطالبہPosted 2 weeks ago
- Call for Legislative Action for Water Recycling and ManagementPosted 2 weeks ago
- ترکی میں کرپٹوکرنسی کے ذریعے جائیداد خریدنا اب ممکن انطالیہ ہومز کے ساتھPosted 3 weeks ago
- YPO Names Elizabeth Zucker 2019-2020 ChairmanPosted 3 weeks ago
Security Council urges conditions allowing safe return of Rohingya refugees
Nay Pyi Taw After seeing for themselves the conditions facing Rohingya refugees in Cox's Bazar camps of southern Bangladesh as well as homes they fled in Myanmar, UN Security Council members called on Tuesday for them to be allowed a safe return, according to UN News.
Speaking to the press at the end of a four-day visit to Myanmar and Bangladesh, Council members highlighted the need to establish conditions within Myanmar that allow the safe, voluntary and dignified return of refugees as well as accountability for the human rights violations that prompted the exodus.
I think it's impossible not to be deeply moved by what we heard in Cox's Bazar and particularly the scale of it, UK's Ambassador to the UN Karen Pierce told reporters at a press conference in Myanmar's capital Nay Pyi Taw.
One can tell stories and those stories are very moving but in order to have accountability you need a proper investigation with evidentiary standards, she said, adding that during the Council's meeting with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the State Counsellor urged all concerned to produce evidence that would help the country undertake a proper investigation.
Also speaking at the press conference, Mansour Ayyad Al-Otaibi, the permanent representative of Kuwait to the UN, called for the full implementation of the agreement between the governments of Myanmar and Bangladesh concerning the return of refugees.
We saw that the government of Myanmar took many steps to implement the agreement but I think much more needs to be done, he said. What we really want is to speed up the process of the return of refugees in a safe and voluntary and dignified manner."
For his Part, Permanent Representative of Peru Gustavo Meza-Cuadra reiterated the need to ensure refugees' security and recalled previous statements made by the Council on the crisis. Basically the message that we conveyed was that it was very important to improve the security conditions of the return of the refugees, he said, recalling the visit.
Poland's Ambassador to the UN Joanna Wronecka, whose country holds the presidency of the Security Council for the month of May, said that the visit was vital for the 15-member body to gain a good understanding of the situation on the ground.
I would like to pay tribute to my colleagues who prepared this visit, especially the previous presidency, Peru, and Kuwait, which initiated our preparation as well as the UK for a very substantial contribution to this visit, she said.
Security Council members also urged the international community to continue supporting the work being undertaken by the UN and humanitarian agencies in southern Bangladesh, on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of vulnerable refugees living there.
Source: International Islamic News Agency